Are My Child's (Student) Belongings Covered While Away at College?

Updated: Aug 24

Whether you’re excited or holding back tears, watching your student move out to head to college is a big step. You may feel helpless to protect them from the unknown, but one protection you can offer is for their personal property and personal liability to others while at school. This coverage is automatically extended from your homeowners policy for students age 23 and under, who are enrolled in school full- time, and were resident relatives in the home before moving to school.

Personal Property

Your standard homeowners policy will automatically cover your student’s personal belongings, up to 10% of the personal property coverage listed on your policy. The personal property coverage extended from your homeowners policy is subject to the same coverage options and limitations that apply to the personal property in your home.

For example, if you have full replacement cost on your personal property at home, then your student has full replacement cost on personal property at school, up to the 10% limit. It also means that the same deductibles and special limitations for items such as money and jewelry still apply.

*Please note that if your student leaves their belongings at school during breaks, theft is excluded for contents after 60 days.

Personal Liability and Medical Payments

Two other important coverage options are automatically extended to your student from your homeowners policy. Personal liability to others in the event your student accidentally harms someone else or their property (driving not included), is available up to the limit listed on your policy.

For example, this can come in handy if your student accidentally causes substantial damage to their dorm room or apartment. Medical payments coverage is also available up to the limit listed on your homeowners policy. If someone is injured while visiting your student at their place of residence, your homeowners policy will cover necessary medical expenses for bodily injury.

Some landlords require that students list them as an additional insured or additional interest on a policy for your student. In this case, we recommend purchasing a separate renter’s policy for your student to satisfy that requirement. Renters policies are typically inexpensive and provide more coverage than what a policy through the landlord would offer.

Submitted by:
Maegan Burbank- Personal Lines Account Manager & Claims Specialist
April Clemons, CISR- Personal Lines Training & Development Specialist

Share Post

Recent Posts

See All