Hit & Run

You were in an accident. Everyone is ok, but instead of stopping, the driver of the other vehicle just drove away! Is it covered? It depends on what type of coverage you purchased for your vehicle.


If you carry liability only coverage without uninsured motorist property damage, you will not have coverage on your policy for the damage to your vehicle. Depending on your carrier, uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) coverage may be available. Most policies carry a lower deductible, or no deductible for UMPD claims. Unfortunately, some carriers do not pay out for UMPD claims if the other driver cannot be identified. In this case, you would file the claim under your collision coverage.


Collision coverage is available for your vehicle regardless of who is at fault for the accident. However, you will be subject to your collision deductible. In the event the other driver is found, your insurance company will attempt to collect the amount paid out to repair your vehicle. If they are able to do so, you may be reimbursed for your collision deductible as well.


Be sure to ask your agent about what type of coverage is available in case you are the victim of a hit and run.

Share Post

Recent Posts

See All